In State of Decay, you are tasked with ensuring the survivors have a place to live, eat, and sleep. You’ll need to you have enough beds to go around, plus other facilities to assist them with the struggles of a zombie outbreak. You’ll need to scavenge for resources to construct and upgrade facilities. Also, you’ll need to stockpile resources to ensure that you have what is needed for your Home’s daily upkeep. To find out what your daily upkeep is, press Down on the D-Pad and use LB/RB to navigate to the Assets tab. Under Stockpiles, it will show both your current and maximum for each resource, as well as your daily upkeep.
Some facilities are less important than others and, with resources and building locations being limited, you need to choose wisely. In this article, I’ll go over what each facility's benefits and features are and what the requirements for constructing them are.
One of the great things about State of Decay is that, while the game does run in real time, 20 minutes to complete a building is 20 real-world minutes. Time still flows while the game is off. For example, if you drop your vehicles off in the parking lot of your Home, and you also have a Workshop, you can turn off the game and come back to the next day and they will be repaired.
Another great feature of this is your survivors. Usually, in order for them to rest and heal up, you would need to switch to another survivor. If you would rather stick to just playing as a single survivor, a way around this is to simply turn your game off and return a few hours later. When you come back, the survivor will be fully healed and ready to go.
Radio Room: Default facility.
- Offer Shelter To Survivors - Requires 100 Influence; completes in 20 minutes. Attempt to make contact with a new group of survivors.
- Ask about Food/Medicine/Ammo/Materials/Fuel cachés - Requires 20 Influence; completes in 10 minutes. Puts a marker on the map of where you can find the requested resource.
Watchtower: Default facility.
- Snipe Zombies - Requires 1 Ammo and 5 Influence; completes in 1 minute. Extends the safe area around the Home.
- Shooting Platform Upgrade - Requires 25 Materials, 25 Influence, and a Workshop; completes in 1 hour.
Firearms Training - Requires 3 Ammo and increases XP earned from firearms for a few hours.
Dining Area: Default facility in Trumbull County Fairgrounds.
- Family Meals - Reduces discord and protects against vermin.
Cooking Area: Requires 10 Materials and 13 Influence; completes in 24 hours.
- Mise En Place - Protects Against Food Contamination.
- Big Meal - Requires 5 Food and 2 Influence. +20 Max Vitality for everyone.
- Good Cook - Requires Good Cook. Allows the Preparation of Feasts.
Prepare a Feast - Requires 5 Food and 2 Influence. +20 Max Vitality and +10 Stamina for everyone.
Sleeping Area: Requires 5 Materials and 10 Influence; completes in 10 minutes.
- Cots and Futons - Provides no beds, but gives a 50% chance of preventing Sleep Deprivation.
- Bunkhouse Upgrade - Requires 25 Materials and 3 Influence; completes in 30 minutes. Turns sleeping area into a bunkhouse, which provides 8 beds and, if there are enough beds for every survivor, increases every survivor’s stamina by 10.
Medical Area: Requires 10 Medicine, 10 Materials, and 20 Influence; completes in 30 minutes.
- Free Health Care - +10 Max Vitality for everyone. 15% Recovery Chance from injury/illness each day.
- Infirmary Upgrade - Requires 25 Materials; completes in 15 minutes.
Quality Health Care - +10 Max Vitality for everyone. 30% Recovery Chance from injury/illness each day.
Medical Professional - Requires Trained Healer. +20 Recovery Chance.
Basic Workshop: Requires 5 Materials and 10 Influence; completes in 15 minutes.
- Dedicated Work Area - Automatically repairs and reinforces weapons each day.
- Construction Expertise - Requires Tool Expert. +100% construction rate.
- You can create the following items:
Make Suppressor - Requires 1 Material and 5 Influence; completes in 30 minutes. Provides homemade suppressor.
Make Firecracker - Requires 1 Ammo and 5 Influence; completes in 5 minutes. Provides firecrackers.
Make Flame Fougasse - Requires 1 Fuel and 5 Influence, completes in 5 minutes. Provides Flame Fougasse (Molotov).
- Upgrade to Workshop - Requires 25 Materials and 50 Influence; completes in 15 minutes
Real Workshop - Automatically repairs Body and Tire damage for vehicles parked overnight.
Storage Facility: Requires Workshop, 20 Materials, and 10 Influence; completes in 1 hour.
- +30 Food, Ammo, Medicine, Fuel, and Materials Capacity.
- Preserve Food - Requires 5 Food and 15 Influence; completes in 10 minutes. Protects against spoilage and opens up new recipes.
Training Area: Requires 10 Materials, 20 Food, and 50 Influence; completes in 10 minutes.
- Exercise Area - +10 Stamina for everyone.
- Fitness Guru - Requires Fitness Expert. Prevents injuries and allows the establishment of Fitness Regimen.
Fitness Regimen - Requires 3 Food and 25 Influence; completes in 10 minutes. +10 Stamina for everyone.
- Upgrade to Dojo - Requires 35 Materials and 100 Influence; completes in 30 minutes.
Combat Training - Increased XP from melee combat.
Garden Area: Requires 25 Materials and 50 Influence; completes in 30 minutes.
- Harvest - Provides 6 Food per day.
- Green Thumb - Requires Plant Expert. Increases daily Food yield.
- Upgrade to Greenhouse - Requires 50 Materials, 100 Influence, and Library; completes in 1 hour.
Increases daily Food yield.
Library: Requires 20 Materials; completes in 30 minutes.
- Scientific Principles - Requires Good Researcher. +300% research speed.
- Can trade access to your library for +3 Ammo.
- You can research the following:
Greenhouse Gardening - Improves yields of Garden Area.
Box Mine - Unlocks ability to create box mines. Requires Munitions Shop.
Chemical Incendiaries - Unlocks ability to create chemical incendiaries. Requires
Medical Lab and Munitions Shop.
Potent Homemade Stims - Allows for creation of more effective stimulants. Requires Medical Lab.
Biodiesel - Allows for the conversion of food to fuel. Requires Storage Area.
Don't stop now. We've got more tips and strategies to keep you and the survivors alive: