What are Creativi-Toys?
Creativi-Toys are the thinking or logic toys of the Toy Box. They can be programmed with functions to be triggers or reactions. You can even link several of these toys in series or parallel so that one action or trigger can result in several different reactions. Creativi-Toys can be unlocked in the Disney Infinity Vault and by completing Creativi-Toys Master Adventures Part 1 and 2. .
Triggers and Behaviors
Most of the toys are straightforward in their use. You place them in the Toy Box World and there they are. Creativi-Toys, on the other hand, require a bit more effort since you have to program them what to do. The key to understanding these toys are their two main functions. First, they can act as a trigger. Remember those “If (or when) and then” logic equations you might have learned in math. The trigger is the “when”. For example, when a player steps on this pad. Or it could be something like “when the elevator reaches the top of its path”. These triggers set the conditions for another action or behavior. That is the second function of a Creativi-Toy—to cause a behavior effect. This is the “then” part of the equation. It could be something like “then the door opens” or “the pad spawns a blaster”.
A quick set up uses a Trigger and a Falling Object Generator. Select the Trigger by pressing the connect button and choose a trigger action such as “stepped on”. Then select the Falling Object Generator with the connect button and select a behavior such as “ESPN Soccer Ball”. Now if your character walks onto the Trigger, a soccer ball will drop from the generator.
Some Creativi-Toys can only be a trigger or an effect and some can do both. In addition, there are many other toys which can be connected to Creativi-Toys as either a trigger or a behavior. These include vehicles, automatic doors, elevators, and most of the Action Toys.
Using Creativi-Toys in your Toy Box Worlds
No matter what type of world you are creating, you can always use Creativi-Toys in them. Here are five quick ideas to help you get started.
1. Create races using Racing Gates connected to a Timer to see how long it takes you to get from one gate to another. You can even connect a Party Cannon to the finish gate and have it fire confetti when you complete the race.
2. Build a castle and connect the doorway or a Trigger Area near the doorway to Area Lights or a Boom Box so the lights turn on and music begins playing when you walk through the doorway.
3. Connect the ESPN goal to a Scoreboard to keep track of how many times you can score. Then connect the goal to Sound Effects so that you hear cheering when you put the soccer ball or hockey puck through the goal.
4. Put together a number of Action Toys to create a platforming game where you have to jump and dodge obstacles to get to the finish line. Connect a Side-Step Camera to a trigger at the start to change the camera view to a side scrolling view that follows your character from a side view.
5. Make a maze out of blocks with triggers at the start and finish. Connect the triggers to a Timer. Then connect a Bird’s Eye Camera to the first Trigger to give players a top down view of the game as they move through the maze.
In future articles, we will cover step by step instructions for creating games and other interactive worlds using several different types of Creativi-Toys.
Want more Disney Infintiy expert strategies? Get the official Disney Infinity eGuide, available now!