Earlier today, Fortnite received a patch update that adds Shrines and a new Impulse Grenade to Battle Royale, along with Lunar New Year-themed heroes and dragon weapons. Today’s Fortnite update also marks the start of the “Spring It On!” event for Save the World, which features a series of new quests as well as Spring Llamas that can be purchased using Firecracker Tickets. Fortnite’s v.2.5.0 patch notes are pretty long, so we’ll save you some time by summarizing some of its highlights below.
Fortnite Battle Royale
First, today’s Fortnite update introduces a brand new Impulse Grenade to Fortnite Battle Royale. The Impulse Grenade detonates with a blast that knocks back any players within range, pushing them away from the center of impact. The Impulse Grenade looks perfect for knocking unsuspecting players off of rooftops, ledges or platforms. You can see the Impulse Grenade in action in the video below.
Battle Royale players will also notice various Lunar New Year-themed Shrines scattered about the map. These thematic Shrines contain hidden treasure chests and loot, so make sure to search each Shrine thoroughly to reap its rewards.
Fortnite Save the World
Fortnite’s PvE mode Save the World also got the thematic treatment with today’s update. Players can celebrate the Lunar New Year with four new Lunar New Year Heroes who each have their own unique kits. The patch update also adds multiple Dragon Weapons to Fortnite that are as gorgeous as they are deadly. Players can obtain these new weapons and heroes using Firecracker Tickets, which are earned by completing missions at increased difficulty during the Spring It On! Event.
Here are some of the general gameplay changes and bug fixes implemented with Fortnite Patch 2.5.0:
- Enabled dynamic resolution and high quality temporal upsampling on PS4 and Xbox One.
- Dynamic resolution gives more consistent framerate during heavy combat and increases visual fidelity when load on the GPU is lighter.
- Full 4K Resolution now supported on Xbox One X.
- Added a key binding for "Toggle Pickaxe" on PC.
- PC + Mac Social Panel has been expanded to make browsing long lists of friends easier.
- Added distinctive sound variations when starting to build with Wood/Stone/Metal.
- Fixed multiple scenarios where connectivity errors would block login.
- Improved XMPP connection recovery on console.
- Optimized XMPP payloads.
- Removed extra queries when returning from match.
- Removed redundant store queries.
- Fixed a problem with empty progress bars incorrectly showing as full bars on Mac.
- Fixed Discord game invites and rich presence information.
The patch notes also mention that the newly added Crossbow will have an increased drop rate in Battle Royale. To learn more about the new Crossbow, read up on how much damage the Crossbow does in Fortnite Battle Royale. Additional details on the Spring Event, Lunar New Year celebration, gameplay changes and bug fixes in the latest Fortnite patch are listed on the full patch notes from Epic.