Fortnite’s Infinity Gauntlet mashup mode is now live, which means players can find out what it’s like to become Thanos and wield the power of a full-stoned Infinity Gauntlet in Fortnite Battle Royale. Below, you’ll find everything you need to know about Fortnite’s limited-time Infinity Gauntlet mashup mode, including how to play as Thanos and what abilities he can use in Fortnite.
How to Play as Thanos in Fortnite
Update v4.1 introduced a new limited-time Infinity Gauntlet mashup mode to Fortnite Battle Royale, allowing players to transform into Thanos, the villain of Avengers: Infinity War. Once you've joined a mashup mode match, all you have to do to play as Thanos is find and equip the Infinity Gauntlet, which may be easier said than done.
At the start of each Infinity Gauntlet mashup match, the Infinity Gauntlet will arrive via meteor and crash land somewhere within the storm safe zone. Players who equip the Infinity Gauntlet will transform into Thanos and will have all of his special abilities at their disposal. When Thanos is eliminated, the player drops the Infinity Gauntlet, making it available for other players to pick up and equip. If no one picks it up right away, the Infinity Gauntlet will respawn in a new meteor crash. As with every solo match, the last player standing is the winner.
Fortnite’s limited-time Infinity Gaunlet mashup mode counts as a regular Solo queue match, and stats are recorded for this LTM within the Solo tab. Mashup matches last about 15 minutes and the storm circle will already be closing in at the start of the match. Storms do more damage in this mode than usual, so try not to get caught out while searching for the Infinity Gauntlet. Loot and ammo drops have been increased for the mashup mode as well.
After receiving player feedback on the mashup LTM, Epic has made adjustments to Thanos to allow players to defeat Thanos easier and be able to wield the Infinity Gauntlet more often. Since this mode will only be available for a limited-time, it would be great if those who wish to play as Thanos could do so at least a few times before the mode is gone without having to play through too many matches.
What Abilities Does Thanos Have?
Thanos uses four special abilities in Fortnite, which are listed in the official update v4.1 patch notes. Once a player transforms into Thanos, their display will change to show button prompts for each ability in the lower right corner. Here’s what Thanos can do in Fortnite:
- Ability 1 - A mighty punch that knocks back enemies and destroys structures.
- Ability 2 - Thanos flies towards the ground, hitting an area for knockback and damage.
- Ability 3 - Harness the energy of the Power stone to fire a blast that deals damage over time.
- Ability 4 - A super-jump that can vault Thanos over all but the largest obstructions.
According to the patch notes, Thanos spawns with full health and shields. His shields regenerate after eliminating an opponent, but his health does not. Thanos has much higher health than a normal player, so players will need to work together to take Thanos down. Thanos cannot build, nor can he use weapons or equipment. However, Thanos does not take fall damage.
Tips for Defeating Thanos
- Look for Legendary Loot - Loot drops are increased in the mashup mode, so when you aren't going for the Infinity Gauntlet, try to find a gold weapon that can help you take down Thanos faster.
- Hide Behind Indesrtuctible Objects - Thanos can't build, but he can destroy player-made objects pretty quickly. Try to utilize indestructible objects in the environment as cover to avoid his powerful beam.
- Keep Your Distance - While you want to be close enough to fire at Thanos and take him down, you should also maintain a safe distance to avoid his lethal punches and ground pound. You can even toss a Boogie Bomb at Thanos to keep him in place long enough for you to get away.
Tips for Playing as Thanos
- Combo Your Abilities - Thanos is the most lethal when he uses his abilities back-to-back. Use his leap to soar into the air, then follow up with either a ground pound or laser beam to damage enemies from the sky.
- Stay Mobile - Thanos can be easily locked down when outnumbered, especially since now that his shield has been reduced. Keep moving and try to leap as often as you can to avoid taking a beating from enemy players.
Epic has not yet announced the end date for the Infinity Gauntlet mashup mode, but we do know that this mode won’t be around forever. If you’ve ever wondered what it would be like to wield the power of the Infinity Gauntlet as Thanos, then be sure to queue up for Fortnite’s limited-time Avengers: Infinity War mashup mode while you still can.
While you’re at it, make sure to finish up some of your Week 2 challenges in Fortnite by visiting our guides on all film camera locations in Fortnite, as well as where to search between a scarecrow, pink hotrod, and big screen in Fortnite.